Site hosted by Build your free website today!

Try out the New Ancestry Search

Ranked Search Results - A History of Muhlenberg County, Kentucky
You searched for Lucius P Little in Kentucky  Refine your search
Viewing records 2,038-2,087 of 2,297 total records
 All Stories, Memories & Histories Results Show  « Prev | Viewing 2,038-2,087 | Next »
Skilesville was not incorporated until March 8, 1876, although the town had existed for more than forty years previous to that time. Methodist Episcopal Church, Central City By an act approved December 21, 1837, an election precinct was "established at the house of Richard Simons in the town of Skilesville in Muhlenberg county." A map of the town drawn by Jacob Luce was recorded in 1844 (Record Book No. 11, page 650). The Skilesville post-office was established, abandoned, and re‰stablished a number of times. Since 1907 the people of this neighborhood have received their mail at Rochester or Knightsburg. James Rumsey Skiles was a citizen of Warren County. Judge Lucius P. Little, in his forthcoming history of the Green River country, will publish a sketch of the career of this early promoter of Green River navigation. Lock and Dam No. 3, or the Rochester Skilesville lock and dam, was opened in 1838.St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, Central City, erected 1912
Stroud City, at the crossing of the O. & R. and E. & P. railroads, 35 miles from Owensboro, is growing fast.Central City's first post-office (about 1871), as it appears to-day
Stroud City, or Owensboro Junction, later became Central City. Before the days of the railroad the well-known Morehead's Horse Mili stood on the site laid out for the new town. "An act to establish and incorporate the town of Stroud City" was approved April 19, 1873. Legislative acts regarding the regulation of the town were passed March 17, 1876, and April 24, 1880. By an act approved February 11, 1882, the name was changed to Central City. The building used as the town's first post-office is still standing. On August 7, 1871, George G. Shaver was appointed the first postmaster of what was then known as Owensboro Junction. He was succeeded on August 21, 1872, by Willis Kittinger, who served for a few years. In March, 1913, Congress appropriated $7,500 for the purchase of a site for a Federal building in Central City, which the Government contemplates erecting within a few years. The Sandusky House, opened about 1878 and run by Captain William H. H. Sandusky, was for more than twenty-five years one of the best-known hotels in Kentucky along the line of the Illinois Central Railroad. Among other churches in Central City is St. Joseph's Church, which was erected in 1912 and is the only Roman Catholic church in the county. This congregation's first building was built in 1886, when Reverend M. F. Melody, then stationed at Leitchfield, was the priest-in-charge. Central City's first mayor was elected in November, 1892. The following have served as mayor of Central City: Doctor J. L. McDowell, 1893-1896; Doctor M. P. Creel, 1897-1900; Doctor W. R. McDowell, 1901-1904; W. D. McElhinny, 1905-1909; and Doctor J. T. Woodburn, who has served since January 1, 1910. 5Broad Street, Central City
Central City is the largest town in Muhlenberg. Since 1903 it has been the only place in the county where the sale of intoxicants is permitted. Relative to the early history of Central City the Muhlenberg Argus, on September 20, 1906, said:
Central City was begun about 1870, when what is now the Illinois Central Railroad was being built. Coal mining followed shortly after. The farm owned by John Stroud, including the one adjoining, it which he bought from Charles S. Morehead and the farm owned by Joseph Settle, compose the principal part of the present (1906) site of Central City. Morehead ran a horse-mill for many years, and although it disappeared nearly forty years ago a few of the old citizens occasionally refer to the town as "Morehead's Horse Mill." In 1876 there were a few houses along the Greenville and South Carrollton dirt road, and in fact until about 1888 the principal business part of town was along that road, then and now known as Water Street. The old house where the first post-office was kept is still standing on the Greenville Road. Jonathan and Willis Kittinger kept a post-office and store in this building in the early '70s. One night, robbers broke in and hauled the entire stock away, but who they were has not been learned to this day.
Bremen, 14 miles from Greenville, has 2 stores and 2 tobacco factories; population about 75; incorporated in 1869.H. D. Rothrock, 1870
Bremen post-office was originally established about 1825, in a residence on the Greenville and Rumsey Road near the McLean County line. About 1860 it was moved to Andrew Bennett's store and blacksmith shop, where the town of Bremen now stands; what was sometimes called Bennettsville became known as Bremen.
It was pioneer Peter Shaver who, in honor of his father's birthplace, Bremen, Germany, and in honor of the German-American pioneers of Muhlenberg, secured this appropriate name for a place in the county. As stated elsewhere, although the German-American pioneers of Muhlenberg are to-day represented by many descendants, all traces of the German language, manners, and customs disappeared a few generations ago, not only from the Bremen country--which was for many years called the "Dutch Settlement"--but also from other sections in which pioneers of German descent had settled.
The Black Lake country lies east and northeast of Bremen. The soil of the so-called Black Lake swamps is regarded by many as the richest in the county, and its reclamation by drainage is now being considered by the citizens of Bremen and the Black Lake country. When this has been accomplished and the cypress and other swampland trees have been cleared away, then, as Harry M. Dean, of Greenville (who spent his boyhood in the Black Lake country), expresses it in his beautiful poem, "The Cypress Trees," this soil "that's black and deep" will be in condition "that men may sow and reap." The poem referred to was first printed in the Greenville Record on December 7, 1911, and has since been reprinted in many papers.
The Cypress Trees.
We sentinel the lone waste places Of swamps that are low and dim; Line on line for the conflict, Tall and silent and grim. In the dawn of that far-off morning We stood in serried lines-- The trees all clustered together, And next to us stood the pines. But great was the Master's cunning-- A wisdom no man may know; So He sends the pines to the uplands, While we to the swamps must go.
Mystic and brooding and silent, Huddled together we stand; Pickets in reedy marshes, Guards of this lone, low land. Dark are the aisles of our forests, Tangled with briars and vines; Few there be who can know us, Few who can read our signs. The lone owl broods in our branches, The brown snakes come and go, And still we whisper a secret No man shall ever know.
Tall and mystic and brooding, Waiting the long years through; Men drive us away from the swampland, But we come to the swampland anew. For here we're master builders, Lifting the soil from the slime; Holding the drifts in decaying, Bringing the earth to its prime. Turning the low waste spaces To soil that's black and deep, Until we are cleared from our places That men may sow and reap.
Harry M. Dean.
Paradise, on Green river, 10 miles above (S. E. of) South Carrollton, in N. E. part of county; population about 300; has 4 stores and 2 tobacco factories; incorporated in 1856.
Paradise was not incorporated until March 10, 1856, which was more than half a century after the town had been settled. For a few years after the Mexican War it was sometimes referred to as Monterey. A deed recorded in 1854 incidentally states that Paradise then had an area of thirteen acres. A plat drawn in 1871 shows an increase to twenty-six and one fourth acres. Although a few acres have been added to its limits, the population has slowly decreased since 1875. Its location and age make Paradise one of the most undisturbed and interesting villages along Green River.Black Lake and Cypress Trees, Near Bremen
Airdrie, on Green river, 17 miles from Greenville; population about 200, largely engaged in mining coal; incorporated in 1858.
Airdrie sprang into existence in 1854, and was on the point of being abandoned by many of the original citizens when, on February 17, 1858, the town was incorporated. Except during a few years, the people of Airdrie received their mail at Paradise. The old furnace, built in 1855, long ago became a picturesque ruin, and the house occupied for many years by General Buell was burned to the ground in 1907. A history of Airdrie is given in the chapter on "Paradise Country and Old Airdrie."
now the third largest town in the county, was not in ex?? 1874, Collins published the above-quoted data on the towns. About 1882, or about the time the Owensboro & Russell?? ??is buit, Frank M. Rice began a store near what is now the ??formed the nucleus of a village which for a few years was ??le. On February 21, 1888, the place was incorporated by legislature and its name changed to Drakesboro, in honor ??e, who lived in that neighborhood for many years and died ??se still standing near the town known as the Bill Drake ??ong other first-comers in this region was Bryant Cundiff. ??town had a population of about two hundred. During the years it has increased to about twelve hundred. Much of progress is due to the work and influence of such men as ??, who in 1888 opened the Black Diamond Mine in the new since been at the head of its affairs; William W. Bridges, connected with the Black Diamond Mining Company since ??s organization; Doctor Jefferson D. Cundiff, who has lost ??to contribute to the town's medical, educational, and com?? and B. Frank Green, who as cashier of the Citizens Bank financial interests of the citizens of the town and the Drakes??
?? towns commented on by Collins, all had post-offices in 1874 ??le and Airdrie. There were eleven post-offices in the county The other six were: Earles, which was maintained in the residence until about 1860, when the office was moved two ??the store of Thomas C. Summers, where it was continued ??name of Earles until 1910, when, after rural free delivery was established, the post-office was abandoned; Laurel Bluff, ??ted on the Greenville Road about two miles from Dunmor ??post-office was abolished when Home Valley was established, ??ley was later changed to Albritton and is now known as ??er and Nelson Station post-offices, which were then where ??Painstown, which was about two miles east of Nelson Staton, which was a small mining town on Green River about five ??radise.
??well to add that about the middle of the last century there ??e in the Harpe's Hill country known as Unity, one at the ??ary place called Ellwood or McNary's, one at Clark's Ferry River Mills, and one on Clifty Creek east of Cisney, near the ??ent, called Sulphur Springs. During 1884, and a few years ??er, a post-office was maintained in the Bethel Church neigh?? Greenville and Rumsey Road, called Bertram, and one near ??called Paceton.
??County now has thirty-four post-offices, eight star mail ??r rural free delivery routes. The star routes run: from Weir ??eight miles; from Haley's Mill, Christian County, via Bancroft ??eighteen miles; from Cisney to Yost. seven miles; from ??tler County, via Knightsburg and Ennis to Yost, nine and a half miles; from Wells to Yost, six and a fourth miles; from Penrod, via Gus, to Huntsville, Butler County, ten miles; from Beech Creek to Browder, two miles; and from Rochester, via boat to Paradise and Rockport, fifteen miles. There are three star routes from Dunmor into Butler and Todd counties. The rural free delivery routes run: No. 1, Greenville, Greenville to Earles, returning via Harpe's Hill, established in 1910, was the first in the county; No. 1, Central City, Central City to Gishton and Bethel Church, returning via Cherry Hill Church; No. 1, Bremen, extending from Bremen northeast into McLean County, returning via Millport; No. 2, Bremen, Bremen to Gishton and Earles, returning via Isaac's Creek and Briar Creek.
Most of the first-comers received their mail at Greenville, Worthington, or Lewisburg, or at "Hunt Settlement" or some of the other settlements.
Post-Offices in Muhlenberg County. In 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1874, 1884, and 1912.
1830. Bremen. Greenville. Lewisburgh. McNarys. Mill Port. Worthington.
1840. Bremen. Greenville. Lewisburgh. McNarys. Rumsey. Skilesville. Worthington.
1850. Bremen. Ellwood. Greenville. Rumsey. South Carrollton. Unity. Worthington.
1860. Earles. Ellwood. Greenville. Laurel Bluff. Lead Hill. Model Mills. Pond River Mills. South Carrollton. Sulphur Springs. Paradise.
1874. Bremen. Earles. Greenville. Laurel Bluff. Mercer Station. Nelson. Owensboro Junction. Painstown. Paradise. Riverside. South Carrollton.
1884. Albrittain. Bertram. Bevier. Central City. Dunmor. Earles. Greenville. McNary. Mercer Station. Nelson. Paceton. Paradise. Ricedale. South Carrollton. Yost.
1912. Bancroft. Beech Creek. Bevier. Bremen. Browder. Brucken. Central City. Cisney. Cleaton. Depoy. Drakesboro. Dunmor. Ennis. Gishton. Graham. Greenville. Gus. Hillside. Knightsburg. Luzerne. McNary. Martwick. Mercer. Midland. Millport. Moorman. Nelson. Paradise. Penrod. Powderly. South Carrollton. Weir. Wells. Yost.
Population of Towns in Muhlenberg County, as Given by the Census Reports from 1870 to 1910.
Town 1910 1900 1890 1880 1870
Central City 2,545 1,348 1,144
Greenville 1,604 1,051 968 866 557
Drakesboro 1,126 228
South Carrollton 365 452 525 493 240
Bremen 254 180
Dunmor 138 77 82
Paradise 91 107 137
Rosewood 89 82
Penrod 68 80 72
Skilesville 53 87 85Main Street, Drakesboro
Population of Muhlenberg County, as Given by the Census Reports from 1800 to 1910.
Year White Free Colored Slaves Total
1800 1,313 5 125 1,443
1810 3,698 3 480 4,181
1820 4,302 2 675 4,979
1830 4,327 15 998 5,340
1840 5,755 13 1,196 6,964
Results per page  « Prev | Viewing 2,038-2,087 | Next »
View printer-friendly

Not finding what you're looking for? Find other people looking for Lucius P Little. Search the Message Boards for Lucius P Little.
Did You Know?
Most little immigrants to the US (568) came from England. Learn more

Refine your search of the A History of Muhlenberg County, Kentucky

Source Information: A History of Muhlenberg County, Kentucky [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2001. Original data: Rothert, Otto A. A History of Muhlenberg County. Louisville, KY, USA: 1913.

Compiled by Otto A. Rothert, this book details some general information about the county, including information on the local facilities. Family historians will find the wealth of information on the first settlers of the county, and their decendents, most...
Learn more...

And then
Get an improved
Family Tree Maker®
2008 with the 2008
Standard Ancestry
Reference Library
for only $49.90
through June 30th.
Buy now